Sunday, February 3, 2013

Twin Babies!


I got this comment on Facebook from a friend. She is having twins!

"What are two girl and two boy names for us since we don't know what they are yet? We picked Levi Grayson for a boy and I like Kynleigh (no middle name yet) for a girl."

Have you thought about how you want your twins' names to "match?"  Most parents match twins by having the names start with the same letter. I'm only a fan of this if the two names are names that you would use individually too. You don't want to sacrifice the coolness of one name so that it will match the other. Here are some of the ways to match twins besides starting with the same letter:
  1. Same (or similar) number of letters or syllables
  2. Inverted initials. For instance, one twin could be LG and the other could be GL
  3. Similar meanings. If you do this it shouldn't be completely obvious. Violet and Lavender are too much. Ayla and Lucy both have a meaning tied to "light" and are a much better fit.
  4. Similar style. For instance, both names can be biblical, or trendy, or feminine, or old-fashioned. This is probably my favorite kind of twin matching (next would be having the same number of letters).
  5. Some parents don't want their twins to match at all. They want them to have their own identity. I get it. That's great, but they shouldn't be as far opposite as David and Slade or Tallulah and Jane. Catch my drift?
This will be fun! I'll start with your boy name: Levi Grayson. This is a GREAT name. All of these meet at least one of the "matching" criteria above.

Levi and Grey (or Gray). This is, of course, instead of Grayson as Levi's middle name.
Levi and Graham (these both sound preppy and handsome to me!)
Levi and Noah 
Levi and Milo (this is the first one that popped into my head. I love these together!)
Levi and Jonah
Levi and Callum
Levi and Callen
Levi and Bennett
Levi and Theo
Levi and Penn
Levi and Colin
Levi and Jude
Levi and Cashel/Cash
Levi and Owen
Levi and Seth
Levi and Wyatt
Levi and Gage
Levi and Grady
Levi and Luke
Levi and Emmett
Levi and West
Levi and Griffin (you could call him Fin - which reminds me of another…)
Levi and Finn
Levi and Miles
Levi and Elias
Levi and Hudson

There are a couple that I would avoid. Levi and Eli sound too close. Levi and Liam have the same problem. 

Now for your girl name: Kynleigh. Funny, when your sister was pregnant with Livvy she had told me that she liked the name Kinley too! You have similar taste! Kinley is a name that is jumping up in popularity. I'm seeing it everywhere. One thing to keep in mind on spelling:  She will never be able to say, "Kynleigh with a y" or "Kynleigh with an -eigh" because there are two spelling variations. For instance, I love the name Avery, but I think it looks prettier spelled Averie. An Averie could easily say, "Averie with an -ie" and wouldn't have to spell out her name all the time. However, an Ayverie would. Plus, nomatter how you spell a name... it's still the same name. Being a Brittney, Brittany, Britnee, or Brytneigh doesn't make your name any different than the others. It's just what pleases the eye.

Here are some options for girls:

Emerson
Quinn (I really like Kinley and Quinn better... they look more balanced. Remember - I like a similar number of letters for twins!)
Bellamy
Tatum
Campbell (she could go by Cami or Belle)
Channing
Auden 
Arden
Meadow
Sadie
Sloane
Georgia
Maisy
Bryony
Bronwyn
Scarlett
Journey
I wouldn't advice doing two names ending in the -ley sound, but for some reason Finley strikes me as a name you might like.

For boy/girl twins, I love these combinations:
Levi and Naomi
Kynleigh and Bennett
Kynleigh and Emmett
Levi and Grace (this could be a LG/GL set!)
Levi and Georgia

Please leave a comment and let me know which ones you like/don't like. I'm fairly sure the boy list is right up your alley, but I'm not sure about the girl list. Kynleigh is one of those names that a mom that likes Kynleigh may like Hayden or may like Olivia -- which are completely different styles.

Commenters:  Feel free to contribute and add more suggestions!

1 comment:

  1. I love Levi and West together! My fave Girl/Girl is Kinley and Bellamy. I also love the thought of using the spelling variation Kynley with Bryony so they both have 2 Y's in the name. I agree that Kynleigh might be a bit much on the variation, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Great start to a new name blog ;)

    ReplyDelete