Tuesday, February 26, 2013

My Top 10 Boy Names


My girl name list is extensive, and the idea of tackling it and narrowing it down to 10 is overwhelming, so I thought I’d start with my boy name list. Overall, my style for boy names is preppy and short. Here are my favorites that I would consider for a future child:

Beckett – This name is sitting at the top of my list for a future boy. The rising popularity of the name is my only concern; hence the rest of the list… just in case since it will be a couple of years before I consider more children.
Crew – Our daughter would’ve been named Crew if she were a boy. My concern with the name now is if he’s the last child, then on the Christmas card it will say, “and Crew” almost like we’re adding our pets instead of our youngest child. It seems like such a small con to the name though, so it’s staying on the list.
Oakley – This is my husband’s favorite name. I love it too; however, we live in Oklahoma where Annie Oakley is the first thought that comes to mind for most people. Not to mention the sunglasses. Plus, Oakley from Oklahoma might be a little much. I love the nickname Oak though. This is the only name on my list that has more than one con to it. I still can’t cross it off though because it’s my husband’s TOP name.
Kip – Short, preppy, and uncommon. This name is my idea of perfection. Some have mentioned that it sounds feminine though. While I disagree, I have to keep in mind that my son will have to wear this name the rest of his life.
Graham – I love this, but it doesn’t really fit with the spunky style I’ve used in naming my other kids. The style of sibsets is really important to me.
Jude/Judah – My husband prefers Jude, and I prefer Judah. I feel like Jude is great, but it’s kind of abrupt and sounds a lot like Jew if you say it too quickly. My husband won’t even consider Judah.
Penn – The only con of this name is that here in Oklahoma people will call him “pin.” I can’t decide if that’s a deal breaker or not.
Rowan – nickname Row. I think this is handsome and preppy, but I don’t like that it’s two-syllables-ending-in-n like my son. I really want something different. Plus, my planned middle name is two-syllables-ending-in-n too, and the middle name is set in concrete.
Rafferty – I love this name with the nickname option of Rafe, but my husband won’t even consider it. He hates it every time I mention it. *Sigh*
Theo – I love the fun of this ending in “o” name, but I think it may be a passing infatuation with the sounds in the name rather than liking the name itself.
Milo – My cousin has a little Milo, and I can’t decide if that takes it off the table or not. In all likelihood they would never meet (or maybe only meet once or twice in their life at the most), so I’m not sure why it bothers me. Hmm… writing this is making me consider moving Milo on up the list…


Yes, this is 11 names. I just couldn’t choose one to throw out. Not surprising, huh? Ha!


What are your favorite boy names? Are any of my cons deal breakers?
 
If you would like any advice or have name questions you can email me at piperandposey@gmail.com
 
-Chantal

 

No comments:

Post a Comment